VP/CONTENT SERVICES, KNIGHT RIDDER DIGITAL
• Created and led new multi-million-dollar syndication/licensing/consumer re-use business unit in San Jose, California. Content Services focuses on the broad electronic syndication business of Knight Ridder, directing the licensing of current and archival content to corporate, business, legal and academic markets, wireline and wireless, through networks of syndicators and agents. Deep business relationships with leading global/USA information aggregators, content management companies. Knight Ridder Digital considered a leader in this field.
• Focused on maximizing value of current awareness and archival editorial content, through first-in-industry centralized licensing, single feed-handling and processing to provide first light-of-morning delivery.
• Built new lines of revenue from multiple reuse businesses, including media monitoring, photo sales, poster, reprint and permissions sales.
• Responsible for strategic visioning and planning. Took lead role in strategic partnership discussions. Led alignment of company initiatives within rolling strategic framework and alignment with parent company venture activities.
VP/EDITORIAL, KNIGHT RIDDER NEW MEDIA
• Responsible for national content direction and planning for evolving Knight Ridder network. Responsible for development of new strategic partnership group, focused on content acquisition, distribution and e-commerce. Group focused on regional portal building through key partnerships and in-house development work.
MANAGING EDITOR, SAINT PAUL PIONEER PRESS
• Responsible for quality, daily newspaper operation, planning and budget ($10M) for newsroom of 215 employees in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Led successful restructuring from a traditional newspaper newsroom operation to a diverse, results-oriented, topic-based, reader-oriented system.
MANAGING EDITOR/FEATURES, BUSINESS, VISUALS
SAINT PAUL PIONEER PRESS
• Responsible for quality and daily operation of three key newsroom departments. Newspaper named one of the best-designed newspapers internationally.
SAINT PAUL PIONEER PRESS
• Responsible for quality and daily operation of features department. Jump-started old-fashioned features department, bringing it to national recognition.
BOULDER DAILY CAMERA
• Responsible for quality and daily operation of features department.
MANAGING EDITOR, OREGON MAGAZINE
• Responsible for quality and operation of Portland, Oregon-based monthly statewide magazine.
EDITOR AND PUBLISHER, WILLAMETTE VALLEY OBSERVER
• Co-founder and responsible for business and editorial operations of Eugene, Oregon-based “alternative” weekly newspaper.